Few of the key most factors responsible for causing varicose/spider vein conditions are hormonal imbalances, age, excessive heat, pregnancy, and obesity. In addition, due to predisposed components such as hereditary can also cause pain and discomfort for some people.
Below mentioned are some of the Do’s and Don’ts that you must follow to keep your veins healthy and free from varicose/spider vein condition:
- Consume healthy foods that include leafy and green vegetables, whole grains, and fresh fruits. Eat diet that is rich in fibre and low in salt. Eating fibre helps in reducing the possibility of developing constipation, which plays a massive role in contributing to varicose/spider veins. Moreover, eating less salt can help reduce the swelling that gets developed due to varicose veins.
- Keep your weight under control. Obesity is one of the primary reasons for varicose veins, and, therefore, make sure you maintain a balanced BMI.
- Regular exercising is mandatory for keeping good blood circulation, leg and vein strength. Simple forms of exercises such as walking, jogging, and swimming, are recommended.
- Try to keep your legs elevated higher than your heart as often as you can.
- It is very important to wear prescribed compressed stockings all time. Wear them before you get out of the bed in the morning and remove them at night.
- Speaking of stockings, ensure that you replace your stockings within 4 to 6 months, or sooner if needed.
- Wear your stockings even when you are flying.
- Wear comfortable footwear
- Wear sunscreen in order to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Elevate legs while sitting.
- Don’t stand or sit in any position for too long. If you notice yourself standing for too long, make sure you find a place and sit somewhere for some time. And, if you are sitting for too long, ensure that you get up and stand for a while. Change positions within brief intervals.
- Don’t wear high-heels for longer duration. High-heels are extremely damaging to veins, and often become the cause of varicose/spider veins.
- Don’t cross your legs while sitting.
- Don’t expose your legs to excessive heat. Heat leads to an increase in swelling in legs.
- Don’t dry your compressed stockings in dryers as that way the stockings won’t last for long.
- Don’t assume that all treatments work effectively in treating varicose/spider vein condition. Always consult a dermatologist before undergoing any treatment for your condition.
- Don’t believe in every claim made by advertisers. Do your own research and speak to qualified experts.
- Do not wear tight clothes, especially tight jeans.
- Do not consume processed and packaged foods.
- Do not smoke and drink alcohol in excess.
Although Varicose/spider veins are usually a cosmetic concern, they may cause serious health problems if proper preventive measures are not employed. So, take immense care of your veins, they are precious!